Monday, April 12, 2010

It's all about the kids

So how fortunate is it that the day after I begin this online journal my better half, who's as much of a hockey mom as I am a hockey dad, should in a surprising development become the Secretary of the Barrie Women's Hockey Association?

We were simply going to the Annual General Meeting this evening to exercise our right to partake in the democratic process that the constitution of the association affords us. To hear what various members of the association had to say and to have our own say as active members in the best interest of our children. We sat in relative silence as the meeting progressed through a review of last year's minutes, a report from the association's accounting firm on the state of the balance sheet, year end reports from the various board members and a couple of motions raised regarding proposed bylaw changes; raising our voting cards in agreement or disagreement when called upon. Relative silence only because dinner for me was a post-AGM notion and lunch was a distant memory.

Next up - the election of new board members and when they reached Secretary an existing board member's finger was eagerly pointed at my unsuspecting spouse. After some exaggerated hemming, hawing and aw shucks guffawing, my wife accepted the nomination and subsequently the position by acclamation. Who else would be crazy enough to give up more personal time for an unpaid position?

I suppose I should point out that I likewise took on a role this past season as a rep convenor in the Boy's hockey association in an obvious moment of lapsed judgment. Convening a division that, of course, has nothing to do with either of my children or their personal hockey experience.

And why not, we both weren't already devoting an inordinate amount of time to our kids' favourite pastime. Why not fill those few moments away from the rink with additional hockey-related politics and paperwork.

But indeed, that is the point. It is all about the kids. We have been putting all of our time and effort into this over the past ten plus years because we firmly believe it will benefit and enrich our kids lives today and for years to come.

On occasion, these sacrifices reward you with pleasant ancillary surprises. I will likely never forget bumping into a 12 year old boy a couple of years ago, who I had helped coach in house league five or six years prior. He was one of the smallest boys on the team, but as is usually the case, one of the most tenacious. If memory serves, I nicknamed him the bulldog. We heaped encouragement on the bulldog and he always responded with extra effort. I had not seen him since that house league year and upon recognizing him I asked if he remembered me. Not only did he remember me, but he told me I was the best coach he'd ever had. I don't have to tell you that a comment like that makes all the aforementioned time and commitment well worth it.

So I, the convenor, coach or on-ice helper, and my fair bride, the newly appointed secretary, trainer or team mom, will continue to give our time to help our children and hopefully some others along the way benefit from being part of a team, part of an association, part of a self-sustaining hockey community.

#imahockeydad

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't know what really brought this on to start writing about your experiences Raw, but keep it up my friend. I will continue to keep up to date on them and read with much anticipation, as I can picture you actually telling me the story in person and smiling every second that goes by. You have inspired me to do the best that I can when it comes to being involved in all the kids activities.

    To be continued............................

    ReplyDelete