Saturday, April 24, 2010

Logic be damned...

A couple of hours after the Devil got cut from the second team she tried out for and I'm doing my damnedest to remain objective and unbiased; but I for the life of me cannot apply logic to this one. Admittedly this is not the first time either of my kids has been in this position and I know it's easy to assume I am not looking past the aforementioned bias. I myself have witnessed parents who wear obviously high prescription rose-coloured glasses when it comes to their children's abilities. I can confidently say I hold no illusions of grandeur However, in this case I have a few undeniable facts in hand that make this cut confound me. One primary fact being that she made it all the way to the last set of cuts on the higher team and here she was not able to reach at least a comparable level. It confounds the Devil too and I have no ready answer for her other than she did not meet whatever criteria was being used to rate the players and make the selections. I realize this is a new set of tryouts, drills and evaluators, but I would also hope that previous and relatively recent history would also have some bearing if not hold significant weight in the total analysis.

Confoundation aside (assuming confoundation is even a word as the spell check herein will dispute), the Devil seems somewhat ok with her fate; a sign that she, like the Boy has come to realize team selections are ultimately they have little to no control over. Back to minor hockey being a microcosm of life where there are a whole range of intangibles (like personalities, politics and human nature in general) that factor into decisions made and unmade.

As doting parents with a suddenly fragile psyche in tow, we and the Devil ploddingly made our way to the mall and local Costco to shop the disappointment away. A pair of shorts, a pair of jeans, a three selection plate Chinese fast food, a gecko shaped kite and a 12 pack of stubby Pop Shoppe soda pops later and she was well on the road to recovery.

This one has certainly been tougher on my logical mind. However, I have often found myself saying "it is what it is" and here I do again.

In another couple of hours the Boy will start his AA tryouts where I'll sit, watch and cross my fingers for him and his quest. Because I too, clearly recognize that finger crossing has as much bearing on the whole process as anything else he, she, I or anyone else can do.

#imahockeydad

No comments:

Post a Comment